The first time that filmmaker Todd Haynes and Julianne Moore teamed up, in 1995’s ”Safe,” she played an affluent housewife debilitated by everyday toxins. And that’s pretty much the plight of Moore’s unhappy homemaker Cathy Whitaker in Far From Heaven, a perfectly judged homage to Douglas Sirk’s 1950s melodramas (among them ”All That Heaven Allows”) that plays just fine as a slice of ultramodern alienation for folks who’ve never seen those old chestnuts. No matter where Moore’s stifled matron turns for solace in her spiritually wretched suburban Connecticut life, she’s trapped. She can’t relate to her increasingly soused husband (Dennis Quaid) because he’s gay. She can’t strike up with her kindly gardener (”24”’s Dennis Haysbert) because he’s black. And as the walls, the town, and the camera close in on Cathy and her stunningly color-coordinated, fall-foliage-hued wardrobe, Moore gives a still, choked performance that breaks your heart – especially on a TV, where the intimate scale makes her look even more trapped by the frame. Claustrophobia of the soul never felt so magnificently sad.
(Far from Heaven: David Lee)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Julianne Moore, Dennis Quaid, Patricia Clarkson, Dennis Haysbert, Viola Davis; Director: Todd Haynes; Author: Todd Haynes; Producer (person): Steven Soderbergh, John Wells; Release Date Limited: 11/08/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: USA Films
Posted April 1 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' boss teases new Murder Night and more
- Kanye West reveals final track list for album now named 'The Life of Pablo'
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday