What fills some 600 Stephen King-size pages is too much and too messy in this unintelligible adaptation of King’s 2001 novel about government conspiracy, boyhood friendship, and – especially – an alien worm that emerges from the anus of its human carrier in a sploosh of funny-gory goo. Morgan Freeman plays a bonkers, alien-chasing colonel; Donny Wahlberg plays a guy brain-damaged to look at, supernaturally gifted to know. The extraterrestrial, opportunistic tush parasite is played by a whole lot of F/X specialists wriggling as a team.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Mystery and Thriller, Horror; Starring: Morgan Freeman, Thomas Jane, Jason Lee, Damien Lewis, Timothy Olyphant, Tom Sizemore, Donnie Wahlberg; Director: Lawrence Kasdan; Author: William Goldman; Release Date Wide: 03/21/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 134; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted April 4 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Late Show': Stephen Colbert 'takes it to the streets' for interviews with New Yorkers
- Why David Lynch's 'Eraserhead' is the perfect Halloween movie
- Celebrities pay tribute to late stand-up comedian Kevin Meaney
- Donald Glover's 'Star Wars' casting sparks lively Internet reactions
- GLSEN honors PEOPLE and EW Editorial Director Jess Cagle
- Stephen Colbert pitches 'Bad Hombres' for Donald Trump TV
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'