Peace was the word at March 22’s IFP Independent Spirit Awards, the annual beachfront fete in Santa Monica honoring indie films (and co-sponsored by EW). Free from the stress of Oscar austerity, Best Female Lead Julianne Moore played modern hippie in an orange blouse and jeans. (Her Far From Heaven nabbed five trophies, including Best Feature, in contrast to its shutout the following night.) Documentary winner Michael Moore (Bowling for Columbine) gave a preview of his controversial Oscar speech to a strikingly more receptive and relaxed audience, many of them sporting blue-and-green peace pins. ”I agree with the toned-down approach,” said Thora Birch (Ghost World) of the festivities inside a sweltering tent. ”At the same time, I don’t think we should do things halfway.” Not to worry: The rabble-rousing was on full display.
Posted April 4 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, Prince Harry, Ansel Elgort & More!