Peace was the word at March 22’s IFP Independent Spirit Awards, the annual beachfront fete in Santa Monica honoring indie films (and co-sponsored by EW). Free from the stress of Oscar austerity, Best Female Lead Julianne Moore played modern hippie in an orange blouse and jeans. (Her Far From Heaven nabbed five trophies, including Best Feature, in contrast to its shutout the following night.) Documentary winner Michael Moore (Bowling for Columbine) gave a preview of his controversial Oscar speech to a strikingly more receptive and relaxed audience, many of them sporting blue-and-green peace pins. ”I agree with the toned-down approach,” said Thora Birch (Ghost World) of the festivities inside a sweltering tent. ”At the same time, I don’t think we should do things halfway.” Not to worry: The rabble-rousing was on full display.
Posted April 4 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!