Despite its title, Julio Medem’s tumescent drama is not a lighthearted art-house boinkalogue, but rather Spain’s contribution to the Continent’s boy-meets-girl-and-someone-goes-insane subgenre. The boy here is Lorenzo (Ulloa), a tortured novelist whose sudden death sends his devastated girlfriend (Vega) to a mysterious Mediterranean island on a journey of discovery about herself and her doomed lover. Fortunately, the mangled, flashback-driven tale that follows is kept watchable by the incandescent Vega, who shimmers in a courageous, star-making performance.
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Elena Anaya, Javier Camara, Paz Vega, Najwa Nimri, Tristan Ulloa; Director: Julio Medem; Author: Julio Medem; Release Date Limited: 06/12/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 122; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Palm
Posted April 4 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Master of None' renewed for season 2, coming 2017
- 'Roots' remake gets intense first trailer
- How 'Street Fighter V' will be 'the dominant fighting game of this generation'
- Kanye West reveals album cover for 'The Life of Pablo'
- See the first trailer for HBO's Mike Nichols documentary
- Dashboard Confessional: 'Emo' goes mainstream in 'Jeopardy!' answer