Despite its title, Julio Medem’s tumescent drama is not a lighthearted art-house boinkalogue, but rather Spain’s contribution to the Continent’s boy-meets-girl-and-someone-goes-insane subgenre. The boy here is Lorenzo (Ulloa), a tortured novelist whose sudden death sends his devastated girlfriend (Vega) to a mysterious Mediterranean island on a journey of discovery about herself and her doomed lover. Fortunately, the mangled, flashback-driven tale that follows is kept watchable by the incandescent Vega, who shimmers in a courageous, star-making performance.
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Elena Anaya, Javier Camara, Paz Vega, Najwa Nimri, Tristan Ulloa; Director: Julio Medem; Author: Julio Medem; Runtime (in minutes): 122; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Palm
Posted April 4 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Creators Robert and Michelle King talk 'The Good Wife' return
- Mad Max collector's edition Blu-ray: Exclusive release details
- Missy Elliott and Pharrell are in the studio together
- See Eddie Redmayne in his next big role as Lili Elbe in The Danish Girl
- Carlton Cuse looks back on his long and unique career
- Kanye apology to Beck, Bruno Mars
- Carly Rae Jepsen returns with 'I Really Like You'--and Tom Hanks?!
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!