Despite its title, Julio Medem’s tumescent drama is not a lighthearted art-house boinkalogue, but rather Spain’s contribution to the Continent’s boy-meets-girl-and-someone-goes-insane subgenre. The boy here is Lorenzo (Ulloa), a tortured novelist whose sudden death sends his devastated girlfriend (Vega) to a mysterious Mediterranean island on a journey of discovery about herself and her doomed lover. Fortunately, the mangled, flashback-driven tale that follows is kept watchable by the incandescent Vega, who shimmers in a courageous, star-making performance.
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Elena Anaya, Javier Camara, Paz Vega, Najwa Nimri, Tristan Ulloa; Director: Julio Medem; Author: Julio Medem; Release Date Limited: 06/12/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 122; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Palm
Posted April 4 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': The director's identity revealed?
- 'This Is Us' creator Dan Fogelman on that gut-punch ending
- 'Scream Queens': John Stamos on that 'pretty awkward' shower scene
- 'This Is Us': Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia on episode 2's twist
- Sia uses her song 'The Greatest' to endorse Hillary Clinton
- Ryan Lochte's 'Dancing With the Stars' protestors charged
- Solange Knowles to release new album on Friday