Despite its title, Julio Medem’s tumescent drama is not a lighthearted art-house boinkalogue, but rather Spain’s contribution to the Continent’s boy-meets-girl-and-someone-goes-insane subgenre. The boy here is Lorenzo (Ulloa), a tortured novelist whose sudden death sends his devastated girlfriend (Vega) to a mysterious Mediterranean island on a journey of discovery about herself and her doomed lover. Fortunately, the mangled, flashback-driven tale that follows is kept watchable by the incandescent Vega, who shimmers in a courageous, star-making performance.
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Elena Anaya, Javier Camara, Paz Vega, Najwa Nimri, Tristan Ulloa; Director: Julio Medem; Author: Julio Medem; Release Date Limited: 06/12/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 122; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Palm
Posted April 4 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game