Maybe director-screenwriter Jonathan Demme wanted to punish Newton for their previous collaboration’s (Beloved) lackluster box office. Short of a vendetta, it’s hard to imagine why he would subject the promising actress to a painfully dry, confusing remake of Charade, the 1963 Stanley Donen chestnut about a woman running from her dead husband’s debts. The complete absence of chemistry (just how does a suave ’60s Cary Grant translate into a bumbling 21st-century Mark Wahlberg?) and linear story lines, combined with precipitous editing, give Demme’s Paris-set flick the feel of a bad, overextended music video.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Thandie Newton, Mark Wahlberg, Stephen Dillane, Lisa Gay Hamilton, Ted Levine, Joong-Hoon Park, Tim Robbins; Director: Jonathan Demme; Author: Jessica Bendinger, Jonathan Demme, Peter Stone, Steve Schmidt; Release Date Wide: 10/25/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Universal
Posted April 4 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!