A romantic comedy with all the confectionary value of one of those watery diet shakes. Gwyneth Paltrow, trotting around in microminis that show off her willowy hot bod to spectacular effect, is an aspiring flight attendant. No, it’s not 1965. View From the Top takes place – or pretends to – in contemporary America, yet it’s stuck in a faux nostalgia for upwardly mobile second-class citizenship for women. Paltrow has an ingenuous dazzle that perks the audience up, yet the jokes don’t fizz, and there’s something patently cloying about the way the film portrays flying over the glass ceiling as if that were the same thing as breaking through it.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Christina Applegate, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kelly Preston, Candice Bergen, Marc Blucas, Rob Lowe, Mike Myers, Jon Polito, Mark Ruffalo, Christian Slater; Director: Bruno Barreto; Author: Eric Wald; Release Date Wide: 03/21/2003; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Miramax
Posted April 4 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Bill Nye read mean tweets about himself
- 'Days of Our Lives' exclusive: 50th anniversary to feature a killer twist
- Cara Delevingne laughs off that awkward 'Paper Towns' interview on Instagram
- Bruce Springsteen was the surprise guest at U2's latest concert
- What are the critics saying about 'Rogue Nation'?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: What did you think?
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!