Vogue’s inimitable ”StyleFax” columnist has penned a heartfelt but lighter-than-pashmina paean to the two women who made him a fixture in ”the chiffon trenches of fashion”: his poor but proud grandmother, who reared him in Durham, N.C., and mentor Diana Vreeland, the legendary former Vogue editor. At first glance, Mama and Mrs. Vreeland could not be more different, but both instilled the same values: Stay true to yourself, act with dignity, and appreciate luxury. Though he casually refers to Halston’s dinners of cocaine and caviar and lounging on Karl Lagerfeld’s terrace in Biarritz, he never forgets that ”the gilding and artifice…however wonderful, are not the only things on earth.” Mama would be proud.
A.L.T: A Memoir Vogue's inimitable ''StyleFax'' columnist has penned a heartfelt but lighter-than-pashmina paean to the two women who made him a fixture in ''the...A.L.T: A MemoirNonfictionAndre Leon Talley Vogue's inimitable ''StyleFax'' columnist has penned a heartfelt but lighter-than-pashmina paean to the two women who made him a fixture in ''the...2003-04-11
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Andre Leon Talley
Posted April 11 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SNL' alum Mike O'Brien opens up about cancer scare, face surgeries
- Lena Dunham, 'OITNB' stars support Hillary Clinton in new video
- Wale throws a pool party at a mansion in new 'My PYT' music video
- David Spade to host 'Comedy Central Roast of Rob Lowe'
- Jennifer Aniston admits she's asked herself, 'Am I good enough?'
- 'Ben-Hur' trailer: See Jack Huston as the iconic Biblical-era hero
- 'Rizzoli & Isles' 100th ep: Angie Harmon describes directorial debut
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels
- Comic-Con 2016: Get Batty With the Cast of 'The Walking Dead'