Vogue’s inimitable ”StyleFax” columnist has penned a heartfelt but lighter-than-pashmina paean to the two women who made him a fixture in ”the chiffon trenches of fashion”: his poor but proud grandmother, who reared him in Durham, N.C., and mentor Diana Vreeland, the legendary former Vogue editor. At first glance, Mama and Mrs. Vreeland could not be more different, but both instilled the same values: Stay true to yourself, act with dignity, and appreciate luxury. Though he casually refers to Halston’s dinners of cocaine and caviar and lounging on Karl Lagerfeld’s terrace in Biarritz, he never forgets that ”the gilding and artifice…however wonderful, are not the only things on earth.” Mama would be proud.
A.L.T: A Memoir Vogue's inimitable ''StyleFax'' columnist has penned a heartfelt but lighter-than-pashmina paean to the two women who made him a fixture in ''the...A.L.T: A MemoirNonfictionAndre Leon Talley Vogue's inimitable ''StyleFax'' columnist has penned a heartfelt but lighter-than-pashmina paean to the two women who made him a fixture in ''the...2003-04-11
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Andre Leon Talley
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' spinoff finds its Hawkgirl: Broadway star Ciara Renee
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!