Vogue’s inimitable ”StyleFax” columnist has penned a heartfelt but lighter-than-pashmina paean to the two women who made him a fixture in ”the chiffon trenches of fashion”: his poor but proud grandmother, who reared him in Durham, N.C., and mentor Diana Vreeland, the legendary former Vogue editor. At first glance, Mama and Mrs. Vreeland could not be more different, but both instilled the same values: Stay true to yourself, act with dignity, and appreciate luxury. Though he casually refers to Halston’s dinners of cocaine and caviar and lounging on Karl Lagerfeld’s terrace in Biarritz, he never forgets that ”the gilding and artifice…however wonderful, are not the only things on earth.” Mama would be proud.
A.L.T: A Memoir Vogue's inimitable ''StyleFax'' columnist has penned a heartfelt but lighter-than-pashmina paean to the two women who made him a fixture in ''the...A.L.T: A MemoirNonfictionAndre Leon Talley Vogue's inimitable ''StyleFax'' columnist has penned a heartfelt but lighter-than-pashmina paean to the two women who made him a fixture in ''the...2003-04-11
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Andre Leon Talley
Posted April 11 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jimmy Fallon thanks Madame Tussauds for making a wax figure of Grumpy Cat
- Chris Evans on more Captain America: 'If Marvel wants me, they got me'
- Alison Brie offers unqualified dating advice on 'The Tonight Show'
- Jimmy Fallon plays 'Family Feud' on 'The Tonight Show'
- One Direction fans' Summer of Struggles: a timeline
- 'Survivor: Second Chance': Woo says he won't make same epic mistake twice
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!