It’s the scariest movie I’ve seen in a long while, and not simply because of the story – a knowing, mature sci-fi morality play about a spaceman who comes to Earth with a grave warning about our future. No, Robert Wise’s film is frightening because its themes so eerily mirror our war with Iraq. Fearful that our aggression as a species will escalate beyond our terrestrial borders, alien emissary Klaatu (Rennie) scolds the world’s assembled minds with words that could be from President Bush’s State of the Union address: ”There must be security for all, or no one is secure.” In the film’s rather brave ending, humanity is left with a sobering set of options: annihilation or peace guaranteed by the presence of superior, undeniable force. Today’s sci-fi filmmakers could learn a thing or two from an old black-and-white gem that has the here and now written all over it.
The Day the Earth Stood Still It's the scariest movie I've seen in a long while, and not simply because of the story -- a knowing, mature sci-fi morality play about a spaceman who...The Day the Earth Stood StillSci-fi and FantasyEdmund H. NorthUnrated It's the scariest movie I've seen in a long while, and not simply because of the story -- a knowing, mature sci-fi morality play about a spaceman who...2003-04-11Sam Jaffe
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Sam Jaffe; Director: Robert Wise; Author: Edmund H. North; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 11 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!