It’s the scariest movie I’ve seen in a long while, and not simply because of the story – a knowing, mature sci-fi morality play about a spaceman who comes to Earth with a grave warning about our future. No, Robert Wise’s film is frightening because its themes so eerily mirror our war with Iraq. Fearful that our aggression as a species will escalate beyond our terrestrial borders, alien emissary Klaatu (Rennie) scolds the world’s assembled minds with words that could be from President Bush’s State of the Union address: ”There must be security for all, or no one is secure.” In the film’s rather brave ending, humanity is left with a sobering set of options: annihilation or peace guaranteed by the presence of superior, undeniable force. Today’s sci-fi filmmakers could learn a thing or two from an old black-and-white gem that has the here and now written all over it.
The Day the Earth Stood Still It's the scariest movie I've seen in a long while, and not simply because of the story -- a knowing, mature sci-fi morality play about a spaceman who...The Day the Earth Stood StillSci-fi and FantasyEdmund H. NorthUnrated It's the scariest movie I've seen in a long while, and not simply because of the story -- a knowing, mature sci-fi morality play about a spaceman who...2003-04-11Sam Jaffe
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Sam Jaffe; Director: Robert Wise; Author: Edmund H. North; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Furious 7' breaks box office records in China
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!