THE LABEL Tommy Boy ESTABLISHED 1981 AESTHETIC Before LL ever rocked Def Jam’s bells, there was the ”Planet Rock” of Tommy Boy. With cornerstone releases like Afrika Bambaataa’s signature single and De La Soul’s 3 Feet High and Rising, Tommy Boy drafted the blueprint that all other rap labels would eventually xerox. By 1989, Warner Music Group had acquired Tommy Boy from founder Tom Silverman, who stayed on in a creative capacity. In 2002, frustrated by his inability to ”take chances on more radical kinds of music” in today’s high-stakes industry, Silverman bought back the label, rechristening it Tommy Boy Entertainment. Armed with developing new artists, Silverman relaunched it as an indie to, as he explains, ”get back to what our original legacy was.” ESSENCE ”We started out as a DJ-driven label, and that’s what we are now,” says Silverman. ”’Planet Rock’ was a big dance record, and hip-hop wasn’t even a separate genre yet. That’s where our roots are. I think there’s a place between dance music and hip-hop now that can be very exciting.” ESSENTIALS The Perfect Beats (1998), a four-disc set of 1980s electro and club classics, and Tommy Boy’s Greatest Beats (1998), a collection of the label’s hits packaged as five CDs in a small DJ milk crate. EXPECT Glitzy femmes fatales FannyPack (above), who rap like L’Trimm; and Disco D, a dance DJ who specializes in ”ghetto tech,” a bootylicious mix of Miami bass music and techno.
Posted April 11 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!