A cast of misfits resides in Red Ant House, Cummins’ spectacular debut collection. Set largely in the sun-blasted deserts of the Southwest, where Indian reservations about uranium mines, Cummins’ tales read like the kind of fiction Flannery O’Connor would have written had she grown up in the region. ”I would marry my brother,” says one woman, ”though he’s sinister and disrespectful.” Family is about all Cummins’ characters have, but it often brings trouble. A cop in ”Starbust” worries that his wife has become a kleptomaniac, while the gimlet-eyed heroine of the title story nurses her depressed mother. It’d be easy to talk down to these lost souls, but Cummins speaks through them instead so we hear their woe loud and clear.
Red Ant House A cast of misfits resides in Red Ant House, Cummins' spectacular debut collection. Set largely in the sun-blasted deserts of the Southwest, where Indian...Red Ant HouseFictionAnn Cummins A cast of misfits resides in Red Ant House, Cummins' spectacular debut collection. Set largely in the sun-blasted deserts of the Southwest, where Indian...2003-04-11
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ann Cummins
Posted April 11 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!