The ”he” in Shreve’s cautionary romance – set in the popular author’s favorite time, a more genteel past – is a priggish academic so obsessed with a woman he sees on a New Hampshire street that he pursues her into marriage. Then he punishes her horribly, in an imperious, turn-of-the-20th-century masculine way, for having thoughts and emotions of her own. Much is baldly educational in the plot, especially the shock value of the prof’s casual, unexceptional anti-Semitism. But the simple, skillful storytelling doesn’t fail the intended audience: Shreve (The Pilot’s Wife) alludes to a serious 19th-century literary style, but writes for the sensibilities of 21st-century romance readers.
All He Ever Wanted The ''he'' in Shreve's cautionary romance -- set in the popular author's favorite time, a more genteel past -- is a priggish academic so obsessed with a...All He Ever WantedFictionAnita Shreve The ''he'' in Shreve's cautionary romance -- set in the popular author's favorite time, a more genteel past -- is a priggish academic so obsessed with a...2003-04-18
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anita Shreve
Posted April 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels