(Through May 4) After the lofty inventiveness of The Lion King and the genital gymnastics of Puppetry of the Penis, you may think you’ve experienced every innovation puppet theater has to offer. But until you’ve seen cuddly Kate and pretty boy Princeton doing the nasty, you ain’t seen nothing. Welcome to the deliciously demented world of Avenue Q, where Gary Coleman rents rooms, monsters mingle with ”Orientals,” and, as just one of the insanely catchy tunes goes, ”Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist.” The nonhuman inhabitants include questionably gay Rod and Nicky (read: Bert and Ernie), the Mae West-like Lucy the Slut, and the prickly Mrs. Thistletwat – all the fantastic Jim Henson-like creations of Rick Lyon, operated on stage by real-life doppelgangers. As they sing, dance, and impart Sesame Street-style lessons on such improbable subjects as porn and homosexuality, you realize you’ll never look at puppets the same way again. Especially now that you’ve seen them naked.
Avenue Q(Through May 4) After the lofty inventiveness of The Lion King and the genital gymnastics of Puppetry of the Penis, you may think you've experienced every...Avenue Q(Through May 4) After the lofty inventiveness of The Lion King and the genital gymnastics of Puppetry of the Penis, you may think you've experienced every...2003-04-18
Director: Jason Moore; Opening Date: 03/19/2003
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- 'SNL react: Your quick take on The Rock and George Ezra?
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!