”NOT A REAL HOSPITAL,” reads the sign in front of the four-story, dirty white building where NBC’s Thursday-night sitcom Scrubs is filmed. Tell that to the man with the head wound. ”When we started shooting here, a guy with a bloody head came racing in because he thought the place was still a real hospital,” recalls creator/exec producer Bill Lawrence. Up until five years ago, the Studio City building was the functional North Hollywood Medical Center, and to transform it into the fictional Sacred Heart, ”we added some rust spots on the walls to show a hospital in decline,” says former Scrubs production designer Cabot McMullen. His crew also scuffed up the flooring and collected some of the worst art in America for the walls. Star Zach Braff (J.D.) points out that even the gift shop is fully stocked: ”You can pick up a religious snow globe. For anyone who wants to send a postcard from the hospital, they’ve got pictures from the Eiffel Tower. You can also pick up film to take pictures of your sick loved ones.” Gift shops aside, Donald Faison (Turk) says the set can be a tad disconcerting: ”You don’t ever want to go in the basement because that’s where the morgue is. And I stay away from the psych ward. That’s where they keep the writers.”
Posted April 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!