Satirizing the Kingston Trio and New Christy Minstrels isn’t exactly ripping from music’s headlines. But topicality be damned – Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Harry Shearer, et al. put the hoot back in hootenanny with a 17-track retrofest that seriously outfunnies the folk-spoofing film. Not since Nashville has a cast so effectively written its own musical material. Numerous contenders vie for the ”I’m Easy” memorial best song award; let’s hope the Oscar goes to the faux Folksmen for their combined mining/train-disaster anthem ”Blood on the Coal.”
A Mighty Wind Satirizing the Kingston Trio and New Christy Minstrels isn't exactly ripping from music's headlines. But topicality be damned -- Christopher Guest,...A Mighty Wind Satirizing the Kingston Trio and New Christy Minstrels isn't exactly ripping from music's headlines. But topicality be damned -- Christopher Guest,...2003-04-18
Lead Performer: Various Artists
Posted April 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Box office preview: 'The Martian' to best 'Pan,' 'The Walk'
- Starz acquires rights to Jason Bateman's 'The Family Fang'
- Eminem pays tribute to Tupac in essay: 'He was a superstar in every aspect of the word'
- Ciara shares spooky cover of Rolling Stones' 'Paint It Black'
- Toni Collette, Tracy Letts, and Sam Trammell join Daniel Radcliffe thriller 'Imperium'
- Patrick Ness on writing fantastical fiction for teens in 'The Rest of Us Just Live Here'
- Watch how Jim Henson's Creature Shop creates the puppets in 'Oscar's Hotel'