In his Broadway debut, a slyly attractive Antonio Banderas plays a creatively blocked Italian movie director – circa 1960 – who is drowning in women trouble. This chic and stylish revival of the 1982 Tony-winning musical echoes the black-and-white look of the film on which it’s based: Fellini’s classic 8 1/2. Unfortunately, the show’s many charms tend to dissipate, largely due to Maury Yeston’s score, which remains earthbound and lyrically facile. (”Be Italian/You rapscallion!”) But the night gets a huge lift from Banderas’ 16 (yes, 16) sumptuously dressed female costars, the legendary Chita Rivera among them. And Jane Krakowski’s floor-to-ceiling ascent on a satin sheet is a miracle of either stagecraft or muscle power.
NineIn his Broadway debut, a slyly attractive Antonio Banderas plays a creatively blocked Italian movie director -- circa 1960 -- who is drowning in women...NineIn his Broadway debut, a slyly attractive Antonio Banderas plays a creatively blocked Italian movie director -- circa 1960 -- who is drowning in women...2003-04-18Laura BenantiJane KrakowskiMary Stuart MastersonChita Rivera
Starring: Antonio Banderas; Starring: Laura Benanti, Jane Krakowski, Mary Stuart Masterson, Chita Rivera; Director: David Leveaux; Opening Date: 04/10/2003
Posted April 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': What's happened to Agent May?
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' star on Ghost Rider's surprising move
- Damian Lewis in talks to play the villain in 'Ocean's 8'
- 'Chicago Fire' creator breaks down episode 100's big surprises
- 'Suicide Squad' Honest Trailer takes aim at the 'worst heroes ever'
- Joe Biden clarifies 2020 presidential bid comments
- 'This Is Us': Chris Sullivan on that Toby cliffhanger in the winter finale
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans