In his Broadway debut, a slyly attractive Antonio Banderas plays a creatively blocked Italian movie director – circa 1960 – who is drowning in women trouble. This chic and stylish revival of the 1982 Tony-winning musical echoes the black-and-white look of the film on which it’s based: Fellini’s classic 8 1/2. Unfortunately, the show’s many charms tend to dissipate, largely due to Maury Yeston’s score, which remains earthbound and lyrically facile. (”Be Italian/You rapscallion!”) But the night gets a huge lift from Banderas’ 16 (yes, 16) sumptuously dressed female costars, the legendary Chita Rivera among them. And Jane Krakowski’s floor-to-ceiling ascent on a satin sheet is a miracle of either stagecraft or muscle power.
NineIn his Broadway debut, a slyly attractive Antonio Banderas plays a creatively blocked Italian movie director -- circa 1960 -- who is drowning in women...NineIn his Broadway debut, a slyly attractive Antonio Banderas plays a creatively blocked Italian movie director -- circa 1960 -- who is drowning in women...2003-04-18Laura BenantiJane KrakowskiMary Stuart MastersonChita Rivera
Starring: Antonio Banderas; Starring: Laura Benanti, Jane Krakowski, Mary Stuart Masterson, Chita Rivera; Director: David Leveaux; Opening Date: 04/10/2003
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' spinoff finds its Hawkgirl: Broadway star Ciara Renee
- Wilco protests Indiana law, nixes concert
- Oxygen, Esquire Network partner on companion series 'Living With Funny,' 'Comedians of L.A.'
- 'The Flash': Mark Hamill on reprising Trickster role, bringing out epic 'Star Wars' nod
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!