An energetic stunt of a movie that wants to make you sweat like it’s 1974. Stu (Colin Farrell), a hyperkinetic media publicist, steps into an old-fashioned Bell Atlantic phone booth in midtown Manhattan. The phone rings and the voice at the other end engages him in a dialogue that culminates with a simple, taunting threat: ”If you hang up, I will kill you.” For the rest of the film, Farrell stands in that booth, sweating and yapping, his cockiness warring with fear and finally giving way to it. Phone Booth fancies itself a kind of Dog Day Afternoon in miniature, but the caller is just a device, a petty hero’s petty conscience paying a Twilight Zone visit. Besides, who in the ’70s would have asked an audience to gaze with shock and awe upon the hollow sins of a publicist?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Colin Farrell, Katie Holmes, Radha Mitchell, Paula Jai Parker, Kiefer Sutherland, Forest Whitaker; Director: Joel Schumacher; Author: Larry Cohen; Release Date Wide: 04/04/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted April 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cary Fukunaga leaves Stephen King adaptation 'It,' production indefinitely delayed
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas' 'Trust You': Hear it, get scoop on new album
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!