An energetic stunt of a movie that wants to make you sweat like it’s 1974. Stu (Colin Farrell), a hyperkinetic media publicist, steps into an old-fashioned Bell Atlantic phone booth in midtown Manhattan. The phone rings and the voice at the other end engages him in a dialogue that culminates with a simple, taunting threat: ”If you hang up, I will kill you.” For the rest of the film, Farrell stands in that booth, sweating and yapping, his cockiness warring with fear and finally giving way to it. Phone Booth fancies itself a kind of Dog Day Afternoon in miniature, but the caller is just a device, a petty hero’s petty conscience paying a Twilight Zone visit. Besides, who in the ’70s would have asked an audience to gaze with shock and awe upon the hollow sins of a publicist?
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Colin Farrell, Katie Holmes, Radha Mitchell, Paula Jai Parker, Kiefer Sutherland, Forest Whitaker; Director: Joel Schumacher; Author: Larry Cohen; Release Date Wide: 04/04/2003; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted April 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!