In a shameful chapter of Australia’s history, the government forcibly removed ”half-caste” children from their families in order to ”breed out” their blackness (and, conveniently, the Aboriginal race). Rabbit-Proof Fence, an immensely moving version of a true story, follows three young girls who have been taken from their family who escape their internment camp and embark on a heroic journey by foot to their home some 1,500 miles away. There’s a spareness to director Phillip Noyce’s film – the sere landscape, the simple storyline, the nonprofessional-actor children’s clipped, minimal dialogue – that leaves it wide open, as if minimizing the proportions of the narrative is the only way to see its enormity.
Rabbit-Proof FenceIn a shameful chapter of Australia's history, the government forcibly removed ''half-caste'' children from their families in order to ''breed out'' their...Rabbit-Proof FenceDramaChristine OlsenPT95MPGIn a shameful chapter of Australia's history, the government forcibly removed ''half-caste'' children from their families in order to ''breed out'' their...2003-04-18Kenneth BranaghMiramax
Genre: Drama; Starring: Laura Monaghan, Everlyn Sampi, Tianna Sansbury, Kenneth Branagh; Director: Phillip Noyce; Author: Christine Olsen; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Miramax
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More