Amanda Bynes has chipmunk cheeks, eyes as clear as a Kansas sky, and the ability to rock out in the punkette-gymnast manner of Avril Lavigne. In What a Girl Wants, she hops over to England to reunite with her long-lost, dashing aristocrat father (Colin Firth). Ensconced in Daddy’s mansion, Bynes shocks the stuffing out of all those fuddy-duddy English people, even as she gets the privilege of absorbing their classy airs. The movie is a likable tween throwaway, though you do wish it didn’t leave you with the unfortunate sight of Colin Firth donning leather pants to play air guitar to ”Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo.”
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Amanda Bynes, Colin Firth, Kelly Preston, Eileen Atkins, Anna Chancellor, Oliver James, Jonathan Pryce; Director: Dennie Gordon; Author: Jenny Bicks; Release Date Wide: 04/04/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 1; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted April 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Jason Bourne' 3-D screenings causing nausea and protests in China
- Olympian auctions off medal to pay young boy's medical bills
- Nicole Scherzinger's Britney Spears impression is 'Crazy' good
- Woody Allen on Dylan Farrow accusations: 'I get harassed all the time on it'
- 'Game of Thrones' star Maisie Williams: 'It's time to wrap this up'
- Nate Parker comments on rape trial controversy in Ebony interview
- 'Beauty and the Beast' photos reveal Cogsworth, Lumière, and the Prince