We know this TV fixture as a maestro of French food and the author of 20-plus cookbooks. But picture Pepin in shorts and kneesocks, a 100-pound weakling intimidated by a stove. Alas, all great cooks must start somewhere. Pepin began as a 13-year-old apprentice at Le Grand Hotel de l’Europe near Lyon, a three-year tour de cuisine that earned him the checkered pants of a real chef. And though he shares colorful memories of cooking for Charles de Gaulle and lunching with Julia Child, he reserves the most affection for his maman, Jeanne, a restaurateur in their native Bourg-en-Bresse. (He includes her apple tart recipe, among other deceptively simple, hearty dishes like onion soup gratinee.) In turn, Pepin has passed on his culinary passion to his daughter, Claudine, to whom he served beluga before she could walk. Finally, an apprentice of his own.
The Apprentice: My Life In The Kitchen We know this TV fixture as a maestro of French food and the author of 20-plus cookbooks. But picture Pepin in shorts and kneesocks, a 100-pound weakling...The Apprentice: My Life In The KitchenNonfictionJacques Pepin We know this TV fixture as a maestro of French food and the author of 20-plus cookbooks. But picture Pepin in shorts and kneesocks, a 100-pound weakling...2003-04-25
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Jacques Pepin
Posted April 25 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- 'Tomorrowland' leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!