We know this TV fixture as a maestro of French food and the author of 20-plus cookbooks. But picture Pepin in shorts and kneesocks, a 100-pound weakling intimidated by a stove. Alas, all great cooks must start somewhere. Pepin began as a 13-year-old apprentice at Le Grand Hotel de l’Europe near Lyon, a three-year tour de cuisine that earned him the checkered pants of a real chef. And though he shares colorful memories of cooking for Charles de Gaulle and lunching with Julia Child, he reserves the most affection for his maman, Jeanne, a restaurateur in their native Bourg-en-Bresse. (He includes her apple tart recipe, among other deceptively simple, hearty dishes like onion soup gratinee.) In turn, Pepin has passed on his culinary passion to his daughter, Claudine, to whom he served beluga before she could walk. Finally, an apprentice of his own.
The Apprentice: My Life In The Kitchen We know this TV fixture as a maestro of French food and the author of 20-plus cookbooks. But picture Pepin in shorts and kneesocks, a 100-pound weakling...The Apprentice: My Life In The KitchenNonfictionJacques Pepin We know this TV fixture as a maestro of French food and the author of 20-plus cookbooks. But picture Pepin in shorts and kneesocks, a 100-pound weakling...2003-04-25
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Jacques Pepin
Posted April 25 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!