A clique of Asian-American high school students become bad-boy criminals, even as they remain tightly wired academic stars; they turn delinquency into the ultimate extracurricular activity. Cowriter-director Justin Lin has captured something new: the tenor and style of an Asian-American youth culture that sees no contradiction between punk aggression and brainiac fervor. The hero, Ben (Parry Shen), pushes himself to a place that isn’t ultimately plausible, yet Lin works with rhythmic observational flair. At times, the film feels like a John Hughes triangle with edgier DNA. Still, it’s a long way from Long Duk Dong.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Sung Kang, Parry Shen, Jason Tobin, Karin Anna Cheung, John Cho, Roger Fan; Director: Justin Lin; Author: Ernesto Foronda, Justin Lin, Fabian Marquez; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MTV Films
Posted April 25 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas returns with killer single 'Trust You,' shares details of new solo album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Can Tyrion be trusted on 'Game of Thrones'?
- Kim and Kanye: It's their 1st anniversary
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps the latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'The Gift'
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!