A clique of Asian-American high school students become bad-boy criminals, even as they remain tightly wired academic stars; they turn delinquency into the ultimate extracurricular activity. Cowriter-director Justin Lin has captured something new: the tenor and style of an Asian-American youth culture that sees no contradiction between punk aggression and brainiac fervor. The hero, Ben (Parry Shen), pushes himself to a place that isn’t ultimately plausible, yet Lin works with rhythmic observational flair. At times, the film feels like a John Hughes triangle with edgier DNA. Still, it’s a long way from Long Duk Dong.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Sung Kang, Parry Shen, Jason Tobin, Karin Anna Cheung, John Cho, Roger Fan; Director: Justin Lin; Author: Ernesto Foronda, Justin Lin, Fabian Marquez; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MTV Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Last Man Standing' replaces showrunner
- 'Survivor' fan-voted 'Second Chance' season: Jeff Probst explains it all
- 'Scandal': Will Mellie actually win the election?
- 'Ultimate Survival Alaska' star Jimmy Gojdics dead at 69
- Super scientific study finds which drugs are most prominent at music festivals
- Beloved dead comedians to perform again via hologram
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!