”My hobby is making a billion dollars. After I have it my hobby will be spending it,” the fallible hero of Smiley’s thick field study of a novel announces, and he’s only half kidding. Good Faith surveys deal-greedy, deregulated 1980s America through the increasingly risky business and romantic transactions of a divorced suburban Realtor and pronounces the whole decade a scam dressed up as an irresistible offer. But since Smiley clearly has indictment on her mind from the get-go, the undifferentiated characters – all of them suspiciously articulate – begin to feel more like arguments on legs than real people. (Even a couple of racy sex scenes have an educational subtext.) Indeed, lessons spill out of the mouths of these garrulous Americans the way other folks say ”howdy.”
Good Faith ''My hobby is making a billion dollars. After I have it my hobby will be spending it,'' the fallible hero of Smiley's thick field study of a novel...Good FaithFictionJane Smiley ''My hobby is making a billion dollars. After I have it my hobby will be spending it,'' the fallible hero of Smiley's thick field study of a novel...2003-04-25
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jane Smiley
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Box-office report: 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart'
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' choking, spanking scene
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!