On the evening of April 19, 1989, a 28-year-old woman went for a run in Manhattan’s Central Park and was beaten, raped, and left for dead. Now Meili sheds the anonymity the press has respected for more than a decade. Because of severe brain trauma, she has no memories of the attack itself, so she focuses instead on her hard-won recovery. Meili devotes an entire chapter to the 1990 trials of her five alleged assailants – minority kids who’d long argued that their taped confessions were coerced – but only a few tacked-on paragraphs to recent revelations that the perpetrator was one man, a convicted murderer and rapist, acting alone. Despite such a glaring omission, her story is a triumphant one. In the preface, Meili notes that 28 other rapes were reported in New York City the week of her attack. May they all find a similar peace.
I Am the Central Park Jogger: A Story of Hope and Possibility On the evening of April 19, 1989, a 28-year-old woman went for a run in Manhattan's Central Park and was beaten, raped, and left for dead. Now Meili...I Am the Central Park Jogger: A Story of Hope and PossibilityNonfictionTrisha Meili On the evening of April 19, 1989, a 28-year-old woman went for a run in Manhattan's Central Park and was beaten, raped, and left for dead. Now Meili...2003-04-25
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Trisha Meili
Posted April 25 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark' on Broadway
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- Watch Ed Sheeran surprise a couple on their wedding day
- Pentangle founding member John Renbourn dies at 70
- Taylor Swift is one of the 'World's Greatest Leaders,' according to 'Fortune'
- Box office preview: 'Home' faces off against 'Get Hard'
- 'It Follows' star says response to film has been 'crazy'
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!