Mohsen Makhmalbaf’s doc-style jewel is a poignant look at a captive society. Returning to her Taliban-controlled motherland, Canadian journalist Nafas races to try and stop her despondent sister from committing suicide at the next solar eclipse. During her dangerous journey through Afghanistan, Nafas encounters those she left behind – allowing the audience to witness through the eyeholes of her burka the misery of a war-torn land.
Genre: Drama, Documentary; Starring: Niloufar Pazira, Hassan Tantai, Sadou Teymouri; Director: Mohsen Makhmalbaf; Release Date Limited: 12/14/2001; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Avatar Films
Posted April 25 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...