Director Claude Chabrol offers a bonbon of a thriller with Huppert as the Swiss chocolate-magnate wife of a famous pianist (Dutronc) with a penchant for serving drug-laced hot cocoa to her guests – including an unexpected visitor who may or may not be her husband’s daughter. A stylishly arch dark comedy with shades of Rebecca, Merci stays on the right side of camp with an ambiguous ending that belies Huppert’s perfect-wife/nutso grin.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Isabelle Huppert, Brigitte Catillon, Jacques Dutronc, Anna Mouglalis, Rodolphe Pauly, Michel Robin; Director: Claude Chabrol; Author: Claude Chabrol; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Empire Pictures, First Run Features
Posted April 25 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set