Director Claude Chabrol offers a bonbon of a thriller with Huppert as the Swiss chocolate-magnate wife of a famous pianist (Dutronc) with a penchant for serving drug-laced hot cocoa to her guests – including an unexpected visitor who may or may not be her husband’s daughter. A stylishly arch dark comedy with shades of Rebecca, Merci stays on the right side of camp with an ambiguous ending that belies Huppert’s perfect-wife/nutso grin.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Isabelle Huppert, Brigitte Catillon, Jacques Dutronc, Anna Mouglalis, Rodolphe Pauly, Michel Robin; Director: Claude Chabrol; Author: Claude Chabrol; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Empire Pictures, First Run Features
Posted April 25 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video