Following her courageous 1996 memoir, ”Drinking: A Love Story,” Knapp explores eating disorders with equally unblinking honesty in Appetite: Why Women Want. Knapp, who completed the manuscript shortly before dying of lung cancer last June at age 42, recounts her battle with anorexia in her 20s, deftly interweaving stories of other women’s experiences. Her personal details, as when she recalls slicing a cube of cheese into slivers for dinner, are more compelling than her stale, second-wave feminist theorizing on the dispiriting messages society sends women. Still, Knapp’s prose is so luminous – ”moments of contentment…come in the simplest packages: in a look of love from the dog, a joke shared with a friend, a spark of affection here or understanding there” – that her final book emerges as one of compassion, wisdom, and grace.
Appetites: Why Women WantFollowing her courageous 1996 memoir, ''Drinking: A Love Story,'' Knapp explores eating disorders with equally unblinking honesty in Appetite: Why...Appetites: Why Women WantNonfictionCaroline KnappFollowing her courageous 1996 memoir, ''Drinking: A Love Story,'' Knapp explores eating disorders with equally unblinking honesty in Appetite: Why...2003-05-02
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Caroline Knapp
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!