Following her courageous 1996 memoir, ”Drinking: A Love Story,” Knapp explores eating disorders with equally unblinking honesty in Appetite: Why Women Want. Knapp, who completed the manuscript shortly before dying of lung cancer last June at age 42, recounts her battle with anorexia in her 20s, deftly interweaving stories of other women’s experiences. Her personal details, as when she recalls slicing a cube of cheese into slivers for dinner, are more compelling than her stale, second-wave feminist theorizing on the dispiriting messages society sends women. Still, Knapp’s prose is so luminous – ”moments of contentment…come in the simplest packages: in a look of love from the dog, a joke shared with a friend, a spark of affection here or understanding there” – that her final book emerges as one of compassion, wisdom, and grace.
Appetites: Why Women WantFollowing her courageous 1996 memoir, ''Drinking: A Love Story,'' Knapp explores eating disorders with equally unblinking honesty in Appetite: Why...Appetites: Why Women WantNonfictionCaroline KnappFollowing her courageous 1996 memoir, ''Drinking: A Love Story,'' Knapp explores eating disorders with equally unblinking honesty in Appetite: Why...2003-05-02
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Caroline Knapp
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Gloria Steinem's 'My Life on the Road' to hit shelves in October
- Watch Jason Segel channel David Foster Wallace in The End of the Tour trailer
- The Weeknd lives through a car crash in 'The Hills' video
- Vanessa Bayer, Fred Armisen, more appear in new Jenny Lewis video
- Neil Young thought Florence Welch was 'a man with a high voice'
- New 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'?
- Blink-182, Tom DeLonge: 'friendly divorce'
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!