Following her courageous 1996 memoir, ”Drinking: A Love Story,” Knapp explores eating disorders with equally unblinking honesty in Appetite: Why Women Want. Knapp, who completed the manuscript shortly before dying of lung cancer last June at age 42, recounts her battle with anorexia in her 20s, deftly interweaving stories of other women’s experiences. Her personal details, as when she recalls slicing a cube of cheese into slivers for dinner, are more compelling than her stale, second-wave feminist theorizing on the dispiriting messages society sends women. Still, Knapp’s prose is so luminous – ”moments of contentment…come in the simplest packages: in a look of love from the dog, a joke shared with a friend, a spark of affection here or understanding there” – that her final book emerges as one of compassion, wisdom, and grace.
Appetites: Why Women WantFollowing her courageous 1996 memoir, ''Drinking: A Love Story,'' Knapp explores eating disorders with equally unblinking honesty in Appetite: Why...Appetites: Why Women WantNonfictionCaroline KnappFollowing her courageous 1996 memoir, ''Drinking: A Love Story,'' Knapp explores eating disorders with equally unblinking honesty in Appetite: Why...2003-05-02
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Caroline Knapp
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!