If one company embodies jazz’s aesthetic and its curious relationship to the music industry, it’s Blue Note. Cook, a coauthor of The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD, lingers with record-collector zeal in analyzing everything from Sidney Bechet’s 78s to Norah Jones’ recent chart-topper. Yet this is no buyer’s guide: Billed as a biography, it details how two ambitious German fans of ”hot jazz,” Alfred Lion and Francis Wolff, founded the label in 1939 and then played a major role in all that followed. Insightful scenes abound: the original 4:30 a.m. studio sessions (musicians loved them); Lion’s late-’40s championing of a then-misunderstood Thelonious Monk; the birth of Art Blakey’s hard bop; and more. In addition, Cook leavens the book with dry wit, describing jazz’s core audience as a ”motley, disenfranchised gathering.”
Blue Note Records: A Biography If one company embodies jazz's aesthetic and its curious relationship to the music industry, it's Blue Note. Cook, a coauthor of The Penguin Guide to...Blue Note Records: A BiographyNonfiction, MusicRichard Cook If one company embodies jazz's aesthetic and its curious relationship to the music industry, it's Blue Note. Cook, a coauthor of The Penguin Guide to...2003-05-02
Genre: Nonfiction, Music; Author: Richard Cook
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More