If one company embodies jazz’s aesthetic and its curious relationship to the music industry, it’s Blue Note. Cook, a coauthor of The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD, lingers with record-collector zeal in analyzing everything from Sidney Bechet’s 78s to Norah Jones’ recent chart-topper. Yet this is no buyer’s guide: Billed as a biography, it details how two ambitious German fans of ”hot jazz,” Alfred Lion and Francis Wolff, founded the label in 1939 and then played a major role in all that followed. Insightful scenes abound: the original 4:30 a.m. studio sessions (musicians loved them); Lion’s late-’40s championing of a then-misunderstood Thelonious Monk; the birth of Art Blakey’s hard bop; and more. In addition, Cook leavens the book with dry wit, describing jazz’s core audience as a ”motley, disenfranchised gathering.”
Blue Note Records: A Biography If one company embodies jazz's aesthetic and its curious relationship to the music industry, it's Blue Note. Cook, a coauthor of The Penguin Guide to...Blue Note Records: A BiographyNonfiction, MusicRichard Cook If one company embodies jazz's aesthetic and its curious relationship to the music industry, it's Blue Note. Cook, a coauthor of The Penguin Guide to...2003-05-02
Genre: Nonfiction, Music; Author: Richard Cook
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'witch noir' comic 'Black Magick' casts a spell -- exclusive first look
- Ben Affleck on being cast as Batman: 'My first reaction was, 'Are you sure?''
- 'Maze Runner': Dylan O'Brien in new 'Scorch Trials' photo
- 13 reasons why 'Fast & Furious 6' has the greatest barbecue
Shark Week 2015:
Eli Roth previews Shark After Dark
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Agent Carter,' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'You’re the Worst' and more
- Tracy Morgan visits Disney to celebrate daughter's birthday
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!