If one company embodies jazz’s aesthetic and its curious relationship to the music industry, it’s Blue Note. Cook, a coauthor of The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD, lingers with record-collector zeal in analyzing everything from Sidney Bechet’s 78s to Norah Jones’ recent chart-topper. Yet this is no buyer’s guide: Billed as a biography, it details how two ambitious German fans of ”hot jazz,” Alfred Lion and Francis Wolff, founded the label in 1939 and then played a major role in all that followed. Insightful scenes abound: the original 4:30 a.m. studio sessions (musicians loved them); Lion’s late-’40s championing of a then-misunderstood Thelonious Monk; the birth of Art Blakey’s hard bop; and more. In addition, Cook leavens the book with dry wit, describing jazz’s core audience as a ”motley, disenfranchised gathering.”
Blue Note Records: A Biography If one company embodies jazz's aesthetic and its curious relationship to the music industry, it's Blue Note. Cook, a coauthor of The Penguin Guide to...Blue Note Records: A BiographyNonfiction, MusicRichard Cook If one company embodies jazz's aesthetic and its curious relationship to the music industry, it's Blue Note. Cook, a coauthor of The Penguin Guide to...2003-05-02
Genre: Nonfiction, Music; Author: Richard Cook
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!