– R.E.M.’s Michael Stipe, hammering out lyrics during the group’s recent recording sessions in Vancouver, British Columbia (bassist Mike Mills, meanwhile, mills about the keyboards at left). The Athens, Ga., trio – Stipe, Mills, and guitarist Peter Buck – is working on new material for both its 13th studio album, due next year, and an upcoming greatest-hits collection. ”[The songs] are polar opposites,” says Stipe of the tunes, which include the politically charged ”Bad Day.” ”They’re either very loud and rude and f – -ed-up sounding, or they’re really quiet and soft and f – -ed-up sounding.”
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!