– R.E.M.’s Michael Stipe, hammering out lyrics during the group’s recent recording sessions in Vancouver, British Columbia (bassist Mike Mills, meanwhile, mills about the keyboards at left). The Athens, Ga., trio – Stipe, Mills, and guitarist Peter Buck – is working on new material for both its 13th studio album, due next year, and an upcoming greatest-hits collection. ”[The songs] are polar opposites,” says Stipe of the tunes, which include the politically charged ”Bad Day.” ”They’re either very loud and rude and f – -ed-up sounding, or they’re really quiet and soft and f – -ed-up sounding.”
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Game of Thrones': Red Wedding actor breaks silence on surprise return
- 'Game of Thrones' producer on the return of THAT character
- Madonna fires back at BET after Twitter diss: 'I will shade you'
- Here's how Mindy Kaling pranked B.J. Novak on 'The Office'
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros host vow renewal at N.C. show
- Hugh Jackman congratulates class of 2016 with graduation throwback pic
- 'Kung Fury' director teases a sequel
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers