– R.E.M.’s Michael Stipe, hammering out lyrics during the group’s recent recording sessions in Vancouver, British Columbia (bassist Mike Mills, meanwhile, mills about the keyboards at left). The Athens, Ga., trio – Stipe, Mills, and guitarist Peter Buck – is working on new material for both its 13th studio album, due next year, and an upcoming greatest-hits collection. ”[The songs] are polar opposites,” says Stipe of the tunes, which include the politically charged ”Bad Day.” ”They’re either very loud and rude and f – -ed-up sounding, or they’re really quiet and soft and f – -ed-up sounding.”
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!