The remains of the Titanic look as if they’re literally melting into the past. Gray and corroded and draped with ”rusticles,” the ship’s murky ruins are spookily preserved in the North Atlantic, even as the ocean water gradually eats them away. This awesome wreck is a majestic subject for the 3-D IMAX Ghosts of the Abyss, and James Cameron, who produced and directed it, does a visually splendid job, though what he has fashioned comes down to a logistical footnote to his great, primal, heart-of-the-ocean blockbuster. Cameron and one of his ”Titanic” cast members, Bill Paxton, who looks nervous enough to lose his breakfast (and eventually does), descend in a pair of nifty, Bondesque mini-subs to survey the gargantuan hulk, each section of which gets matched up to photographs and computerized images of its pre-iceberg splendor. There’s an amusing glimmer of suspense generated by the film’s twin robot cameras, which roam the ship on fiber-optic snakes. Will the cameras make it through the exploration intact? Cameron wants to take the audience ”back to ‘Titanic,”’ but the journey’s magic is hemmed in, paradoxically, by the transcendence of his previous effort; surely he must know that a lot of us never left.
Ghosts of the AbyssThe remains of the Titanic look as if they're literally melting into the past. Gray and corroded and draped with ''rusticles,'' the ship's murky ruins are...Ghosts of the AbyssDocumentaryPT60MGThe remains of the Titanic look as if they're literally melting into the past. Gray and corroded and draped with ''rusticles,'' the ship's murky ruins are...2003-05-02Buena Vista Pictures
Genre: Documentary; Starring: James Cameron, Bill Paxton; Director: James Cameron; Release Date Wide: 04/11/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 60; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!