In Real Women Have Curves, bright, curvaceous teen Ana (America Ferrera) wants to go to college, but her overbearing mother (Lupe Ontiveros) is intent on keeping her working to provide for the family. Director Patricia Cardoso’s unique focus on the Mexican community of East L.A. provides a fresh take on a stale genre, the dysfunctional-female family drama. Instead of thin, emotionally void women, ”Curves” boasts well-rounded working-class gals who aren’t afraid to show their inner fuego. Besides, only real women could do that kind of a group strip scene.
Genre: Drama; Starring: America Ferrera, Lupe Ontiveros, Brian Sites, George Lopez, Michelle Moretti; Director: Patricia Cardoso; Author: George LaVoo, Josefina Lopez; Release Date Limited: 10/18/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Box office: Office Christmas Party, Miss Sloane enter crowded slate
- Donald Trump remaining executive producer on new 'Celebrity Apprentice'
- Jennifer Lawrence, Arnold Schwarzenegger to appear on NBC's New Year's Eve special
- John Glenn honored by 'Hidden Figures' actor who plays him
- Writers Guild blasts Trump for slamming union leader over Carrier deal
- A former RuPaul's Drag Race contestant just made Academy Award history
- 'Legends of Tomorrow' star Matt Letscher teases Legion of Doom's debut
- The 20 Best (And 5 Worst!) TV Shows of 2016
- EW's 2016 Entertainers of the Year
- The 20 Best Movies of 2016
- Finding 'La La Land': Director Damien Chazelle's 15 Influences for His New Musical Romance
- 38 Photos of Ian Somerhalder For His 38th Birthday
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21: Meet Nick's 30 Bachelorettes