Eric Schlosser’s writing is marked by the kind of dry, data-filled sentences that kill novels. So it’s a good thing he specializes in sobering investigative exposes like 2001’s Big Mac-bashing ”Fast Food Nation.” In his follow-up, Reefer Madness, he sics his dogged investigative yen and fact-wielding pen on three underground economies: pot, migrant workers, and porn. On pot, his litany of official misinformation, unjust persecutions, and draconian laws amounts to a dull, albeit convincing, pro-legalization manifesto. There’s more color in his depiction of the laborers in California’s strawberry farms, but in the end it too feels like a powerful piece of advocacy. Only in the heftier final section, which views the business of American pornography through the tale of unheralded magnate Reuben Sturman, does Schlosser paint a complete picture, with the nuance and ambiguity of a novel.
Reefer Madness: Sex, Drugs, and Cheap Labor in the American Black Market Eric Schlosser's writing is marked by the kind of dry, data-filled sentences that kill novels. So it's a good thing he specializes in sobering...Reefer Madness: Sex, Drugs, and Cheap Labor in the American Black MarketNonfictionEric Schlosser Eric Schlosser's writing is marked by the kind of dry, data-filled sentences that kill novels. So it's a good thing he specializes in sobering...2003-05-02
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Eric Schlosser
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!