Every formative event in 18-year-old Speed Racer’s go-go life is explained in Speed Racer Collector’s Edition, the first 11 episodes of the enduring Japanimation series. What caused Pops Racer to quit his job, why his oldest son (Racer X) left home, and how Speed uses the Mach 5’s retractable wings to beat the Acrobatic car team are especially vital facts because the animation is often about as fluid as a flip book. To compensate for the technical shortcomings, creator Tatsuo Yoshida combined punctuated illustrations and ingenious visual tricks to impart a feeling of big action with only limited motion. These techniques are now trademarks of the anime form and helped this demon on wheels pave the way for all the saucer-eyed protagonists and sickly-sweet sprites ruling the airwaves today.
Speed Racer Collector's EditionEvery formative event in 18-year-old Speed Racer's go-go life is explained in Speed Racer Collector's Edition, the first 11 episodes of the...Speed Racer Collector's EditionUnratedEvery formative event in 18-year-old Speed Racer's go-go life is explained in Speed Racer Collector's Edition, the first 11 episodes of the...2003-05-02
(Speed Racer: Photofest)
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy snags Claire Danes and more
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!