Every formative event in 18-year-old Speed Racer’s go-go life is explained in Speed Racer Collector’s Edition, the first 11 episodes of the enduring Japanimation series. What caused Pops Racer to quit his job, why his oldest son (Racer X) left home, and how Speed uses the Mach 5’s retractable wings to beat the Acrobatic car team are especially vital facts because the animation is often about as fluid as a flip book. To compensate for the technical shortcomings, creator Tatsuo Yoshida combined punctuated illustrations and ingenious visual tricks to impart a feeling of big action with only limited motion. These techniques are now trademarks of the anime form and helped this demon on wheels pave the way for all the saucer-eyed protagonists and sickly-sweet sprites ruling the airwaves today.
Speed Racer Collector's EditionEvery formative event in 18-year-old Speed Racer's go-go life is explained in Speed Racer Collector's Edition, the first 11 episodes of the...Speed Racer Collector's EditionUnratedEvery formative event in 18-year-old Speed Racer's go-go life is explained in Speed Racer Collector's Edition, the first 11 episodes of the...2003-05-02
(Speed Racer: Photofest)
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on that killer finale and what's next
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!