Every formative event in 18-year-old Speed Racer’s go-go life is explained in Speed Racer Collector’s Edition, the first 11 episodes of the enduring Japanimation series. What caused Pops Racer to quit his job, why his oldest son (Racer X) left home, and how Speed uses the Mach 5’s retractable wings to beat the Acrobatic car team are especially vital facts because the animation is often about as fluid as a flip book. To compensate for the technical shortcomings, creator Tatsuo Yoshida combined punctuated illustrations and ingenious visual tricks to impart a feeling of big action with only limited motion. These techniques are now trademarks of the anime form and helped this demon on wheels pave the way for all the saucer-eyed protagonists and sickly-sweet sprites ruling the airwaves today.
Speed Racer Collector's EditionEvery formative event in 18-year-old Speed Racer's go-go life is explained in Speed Racer Collector's Edition, the first 11 episodes of the...Speed Racer Collector's EditionUnratedEvery formative event in 18-year-old Speed Racer's go-go life is explained in Speed Racer Collector's Edition, the first 11 episodes of the...2003-05-02
(Speed Racer: Photofest)
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Label CEO says company has naming rights to Chief Keef's baby
- Celine Dion revives Las Vegas residency following yearlong hiatus
- Hugh Dancy and Gillian Anderson get philosophical in exclusive 'Hannibal' finale clip
- Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander stun in new 'Danish Girl' poster
- Get to know The Weeknd through his 9 best deep cuts
- Jimmy Kimmel censors Donald Trump on 'Unnecessary Censorship'
- Ranking Shania Twain's 37 singles in honor of her 50th birthday
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!