The tiniest things can send 70-year-old Willem into a debilitating panic attack: In the opening scene, it’s a waitress’ body odor and the ridiculous paper crowns that adorn Ruby’s Regal Truck Stop. Around this fragile hero and the folks he encounters on a visit to his Mississippi hometown, Haynes (author of 1999’s Oprah-approved Mother of Pearl) fashions a circa-1974 look at how tiny actions can add up to big consequences. From the matriarch of the family now farming what was once Willem’s father’s land to the pair of preschool-age boys whose mom runs the local motel while their dad plans a jewelry heist, no character escapes without a full examination. The result is a lush portrait of a crop of Southerners who defy expectations.
Willem's Field The tiniest things can send 70-year-old Willem into a debilitating panic attack: In the opening scene, it's a waitress' body odor and the ridiculous...Willem's FieldFictionMelinda Haynes The tiniest things can send 70-year-old Willem into a debilitating panic attack: In the opening scene, it's a waitress' body odor and the ridiculous...2003-05-02
Genre: Fiction; Author: Melinda Haynes
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!