It would be easy to dismiss ”Xena: Warrior Princess” as a campy spin-off of an even campier syndicated series (namely, ”Hercules: The Legendary Journeys”) because, well, it was. But there was more to ”Xena” than just the bitchin’ battle cry. Star Lucy Lawless ushered in a new era of TV action heroine, one who was strong, smart, and – of course – sexy. But what set ”Xena” apart from copycats like ”Queen of Swords,” ”Relic Hunter,” and, perhaps most regrettably, ”Sheena,” was its mix of well-choreographed stunts and absurd ancient-era fun (a formula first concocted by ”Xena” exec producers Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi on ”Army of Darkness”). Xena: Warrior Princess Season One remains the finest: The newly reformed Xena still has the capacity to turn evil, making the character more than just a one-dimensional do-gooder. Plus, the first seeds of her sapphic relationship with Gabrielle are oh-so-subtly planted. Throw in such colorful characters as the thieving Autolycus, Ares God of War, and she-villain Callisto, and you have a show for the ages. Of course, I’m probably overanalyzing. If you just wanna see a fatal-Frisbee-packin’ mama repeatedly kick bad guys in their family jewels, look no further.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!