It would be easy to dismiss ”Xena: Warrior Princess” as a campy spin-off of an even campier syndicated series (namely, ”Hercules: The Legendary Journeys”) because, well, it was. But there was more to ”Xena” than just the bitchin’ battle cry. Star Lucy Lawless ushered in a new era of TV action heroine, one who was strong, smart, and – of course – sexy. But what set ”Xena” apart from copycats like ”Queen of Swords,” ”Relic Hunter,” and, perhaps most regrettably, ”Sheena,” was its mix of well-choreographed stunts and absurd ancient-era fun (a formula first concocted by ”Xena” exec producers Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi on ”Army of Darkness”). Xena: Warrior Princess Season One remains the finest: The newly reformed Xena still has the capacity to turn evil, making the character more than just a one-dimensional do-gooder. Plus, the first seeds of her sapphic relationship with Gabrielle are oh-so-subtly planted. Throw in such colorful characters as the thieving Autolycus, Ares God of War, and she-villain Callisto, and you have a show for the ages. Of course, I’m probably overanalyzing. If you just wanna see a fatal-Frisbee-packin’ mama repeatedly kick bad guys in their family jewels, look no further.
Posted May 2 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- Amy Schumer responds to open letter about Lafayette theater shooting
- Channing Tatum is (still) doing the 'Gambit' movie
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!