The question isn’t whether there’s a more propulsive, more swinging drummer in the jam-band world than Galactic’s Stanton Moore (there’s not). The question is why, in a scene ruled by groove, most kit commanders put your ass to sleep before the first guitar solo. On this singerless side project, Moore spikes his quicksand second-line rhythms with electro-burps and the flavors of polyglot percussionist Mike Dillon, which leaves everyone else free to do just about anything. Eight-string guitar whiz Charlie Hunter pushes beyond his usual party-trick jazz-funk on the pedal-mad ”Delta Skelta” and the electro-Cuban ”Plena for My Grundle,” while horn man Skerik gets down with Bitches Brew-style distortion and double-reed squealing. It’s not the most complex soloing, but your hips won’t care. COLLECTOR’S NOTE The handsomely packaged vinyl-only EP Mysteryfunk (Fog City) is a smoky, wee-hours dub-funk head trip worth hunting for.
Emphasizer The question isn't whether there's a more propulsive, more swinging drummer in the jam-band world than Galactic's Stanton Moore (there's not). The...Emphasizer The question isn't whether there's a more propulsive, more swinging drummer in the jam-band world than Galactic's Stanton Moore (there's not). The...2003-05-09
Producer (group): Artemis
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Once Upon a Time' reveals what happened to Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards 2015: And the winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Gene Saks, Tony-winning director, dies
- Scientology doc 'Going Clear' airing Sunday on HBO
- Kids' Choice Awards 2015: See who got slimed
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!