It takes ambitious perversity to unleash a choir, a church organ, timpani, sleigh bells, and showering harp arpeggios in service of a paean to sexual water sports. But what elevates the album-opening ”Golden Streams” above pissant wit is how absolutely its pop sumptuousness transcends the formal joke. The Cameras were just Toronto’s Joel Gibb until stage fright drove him to build a small orchestra of friends; the result is a sophomore disc that sounds like a partnership ceremony between R.E.M. and the Magnetic Fields, with Phil Spector (unarmed) presiding. The lyrics, often coyly buried, blur love, spiritual epiphany, and deep horniness – not a new idea, but one that rarely generates this much tuneful joy. CHORAL FIXATION If the indie-rock trend toward choir harmony keeps up (see Polyphonic Spree, Bright Eyes, Rilo Kiley, etc.), high school glee clubs are gonna get a lot more fun.
A Smell of Our Own It takes ambitious perversity to unleash a choir, a church organ, timpani, sleigh bells, and showering harp arpeggios in service of a paean to sexual...A Smell of Our Own It takes ambitious perversity to unleash a choir, a church organ, timpani, sleigh bells, and showering harp arpeggios in service of a paean to sexual...2003-05-09
Producer (group): Rough Trade
Posted May 9 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Elisabeth Moss to star in Hulu series The Handmaid's Tale
- WATCH: Reid Scott reveals who laughs the most on the set of 'Veep'
- What time is the White House Correspondents Dinner?
- Mario Lopez, Anderson Cooper: Who's replacing Michael Strahan?
- Larry Wilmore gets advice for White House Correspondents' Dinner
- What to Watch This Weekend: 'Veep' hooks up with John Slattery
- Teacher suspended for showing high school class 'Human Centipede 2'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch