The pleasure of Bern’s records has always been the roller-coaster ride between his topical folkie wit and his unlikely desire to be a heartland roots rocker. So maybe these discs should’ve been a twofer. Swastika could’ve been called The Hot Button EP; it weaves polemics and punchlines with a humanity Bill Maher should study. Opening with ”Talkin’ Al Kida Blues,” it reclaims the titular icon in the spirit of the Marx Brothers, and ends with a searing meditation on the impossibility – and importance – of fleeing history. Swastika’s stripped-down music has to run to keep up with the oratory, unlike the Mellencampy Fleeting Days, which has some of the most well-built songs of Bern’s career. But except for the one about puking up Waffle House cheese grits en route to Graceland, the heart-baring Days is short on the head-turning lyrics of his best stuff. BIGGER BALLS In December, the tireless Bern followed up his signature ”Tiger Woods” with World Cup, an EP-book combo flashing more sports-obsessed sociology. Swastika: A- Days: B
Fleeting Days The pleasure of Bern's records has always been the roller-coaster ride between his topical folkie wit and his unlikely desire to be a heartland roots...Fleeting Days The pleasure of Bern's records has always been the roller-coaster ride between his topical folkie wit and his unlikely desire to be a heartland roots...2003-05-09
Lead Performer: Dan Bern; Producer (group): Messenger
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!