A regional club phenomenon that broke national for a few minutes in the ’80s (see Chuck Brown, Trouble Funk, etc.), Washington, D.C., go-go has simmered underground ever since. This crudely assembled, shamelessly self-promoting mix-cum-radio show splices live and studio jams that, as songs, don’t go much of anywhere. But with this kind of loping funk, sometimes that’s just where you want to be. Producer Flexx adds programmed drums and sample stabs to the old conga-cowbell-police whistle recipe, and whether the vocals are recycled diva R&B (”Make Um Pay”), dancehall reggae crooning (”That Way”), G-funk party chants (”Ride Out”), or Afro-centric travelogue (”Go Go Ology”) his tracks are consistently hypnotizing. WET SPOT Built on the guitar lick from Betty Wright’s ”Clean Up Woman” and the sound of a running faucet, ”The Water Dance” seems dangerous business for a dance floor crowded with booze-filled bladders. But, hey – whatever gets you off.
www.thatgogo.com A regional club phenomenon that broke national for a few minutes in the '80s (see Chuck Brown, Trouble Funk, etc.), Washington, D.C., go-go has simmered...www.thatgogo.com A regional club phenomenon that broke national for a few minutes in the '80s (see Chuck Brown, Trouble Funk, etc.), Washington, D.C., go-go has simmered...2003-05-09
Lead Performer: DJ Flexx; Producer (group): Baldhead
Posted May 9 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!