No real breakthroughs occur in cowriter-director Harold Ramis’ follow-up to his 1999 hit Analyze This. De Niro returns to the brilliantly cast role of troubled Mob boss Paul Vitti: Suddenly a marked man, he gets released early from prison into the custody of his nebbishy shrink (Crystal), who’s assigned to help the mafioso go legit. The sequel is ripe with comedic potential (as Vitti tries his criminal hand at new careers), and real-life Aussie Anthony LaPaglia as the New Yawk-talkin’ Australian star of a Mob drama is a fun catch. But the frequently rough dips into more serious sleep-with-the-fishes territory leave the dramedy unbalanced.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Billy Crystal, Robert De Niro, Lisa Kudrow, Anthony LaPaglia, Cathy Moriarty; Director: Harold Ramis; Author: Harold Ramis, Peter Steinfeld; Release Date Wide: 12/06/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Beauty and the Beast' teaser outpaces 'Star Wars' in first day
- Wong Kar Wai was in the mood for conversation at MOMA book chat
- 'Get Shorty' TV series coming to Epix
- 'Tuck Everlasting' becomes mortal, will close on Broadway
- There's no escaping the clown costume in Eli Roth-produced 'Clown'
- Jessica Lowndes is creeped out in Darren Lynn Bousman's 'Abattoir'
- Stephen King, hundreds of writers sign petition against Donald Trump