The first feature directed by John Malkovich is set in an unnamed Latin American country, and it has a mystery, and moral unease, that lingers. What looks at first like a terrorist cataclysm sinister enough to be science fiction is, in fact, the film’s version of the Shining Path movement that dominated Peru in the early ’80s. As the investigating police captain, Javier Bardem is placid yet implosive: a force of good who may not be forceful enough.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Javier Bardem, John Malkovich, Laura Morante, Wolframio Benavides, Juan Diego Botto, Elvira Minguez, Laura Morante; Director: John Malkovich; Author: Nicholas Shakespeare; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 135; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg set to perform in an opera
- 'Ghostbusters' director gets 'choked up' by supportive fans
- Miley Cyrus storms Virginia college to campaign for Hillary Clinton
- Lauryn Hill gives powerful performance of 'Rebel' on 'Charlie Rose'
- 'Jessica Jones' season 2: Showrunner promises all-female directors
- Cecilia Hart, wife of James Earl Jones, dies at 68
- Tom Cruise, Jude Law compare on-set underwater breath-holding stories