The first feature directed by John Malkovich is set in an unnamed Latin American country, and it has a mystery, and moral unease, that lingers. What looks at first like a terrorist cataclysm sinister enough to be science fiction is, in fact, the film’s version of the Shining Path movement that dominated Peru in the early ’80s. As the investigating police captain, Javier Bardem is placid yet implosive: a force of good who may not be forceful enough.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Javier Bardem, John Malkovich, Laura Morante, Wolframio Benavides, Juan Diego Botto, Elvira Minguez, Laura Morante; Director: John Malkovich; Author: Nicholas Shakespeare; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2003; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 135; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!