The first feature directed by John Malkovich is set in an unnamed Latin American country, and it has a mystery, and moral unease, that lingers. What looks at first like a terrorist cataclysm sinister enough to be science fiction is, in fact, the film’s version of the Shining Path movement that dominated Peru in the early ’80s. As the investigating police captain, Javier Bardem is placid yet implosive: a force of good who may not be forceful enough.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Javier Bardem, John Malkovich, Laura Morante, Wolframio Benavides, Juan Diego Botto, Elvira Minguez, Laura Morante; Director: John Malkovich; Author: Nicholas Shakespeare; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 135; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine': The 9 best lines from 'The Funeral'
- How 'Blindspot' is hiding more clues in plain sight
- Goo Goo Dolls announce 'A Boy Named Goo' 20th anniversary release
- Britney Spears cameos at Kate Hudson's game night
- Selma Blair on her 'American Crime Story' role: ‘I happen to love Kris Jenner’
- Hasbro says four more 'Transformers' sequels are on the way
- Emilia Clarke and Jason Momoa had a 'Game of Thrones' reunion