The first feature directed by John Malkovich is set in an unnamed Latin American country, and it has a mystery, and moral unease, that lingers. What looks at first like a terrorist cataclysm sinister enough to be science fiction is, in fact, the film’s version of the Shining Path movement that dominated Peru in the early ’80s. As the investigating police captain, Javier Bardem is placid yet implosive: a force of good who may not be forceful enough.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Javier Bardem, John Malkovich, Laura Morante, Wolframio Benavides, Juan Diego Botto, Elvira Minguez, Laura Morante; Director: John Malkovich; Author: Nicholas Shakespeare; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 135; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Tilda Swinton talks The Ancient One in 'Doctor Strange' sneak peek video
- J.K. Rowling saw Amy Schumer's stand-up show and loved it
- Adam Scott and Craig Robinson team up for paranormal comedy 'Ghosted'
- EW PopFest: Here's everything you need to know!
- Lance Bass 'disappointed' *NSYNC never recorded final album
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt: 'Dark Knight Rises' conclusion was 'perfect ending'
- Actors Equity Association endorses Hillary Clinton