The first feature directed by John Malkovich is set in an unnamed Latin American country, and it has a mystery, and moral unease, that lingers. What looks at first like a terrorist cataclysm sinister enough to be science fiction is, in fact, the film’s version of the Shining Path movement that dominated Peru in the early ’80s. As the investigating police captain, Javier Bardem is placid yet implosive: a force of good who may not be forceful enough.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Javier Bardem, John Malkovich, Laura Morante, Wolframio Benavides, Juan Diego Botto, Elvira Minguez, Laura Morante; Director: John Malkovich; Author: Nicholas Shakespeare; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 135; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony