After inheriting $22 million, criminal lawyer Andy Carpenter can’t get motivated to take a case – until his PI girlfriend is accused of decapitating a sleazy cop she used to work with. His consuming search for the truth takes him to pimps, drug dealers, FBI big shots, and the ranks of the North Jersey Mob. This textbook legal thriller boasts a solid setup with suspense just where you want it, humor just when you need it, and twists just when you’re getting bored. Plus, Carpenter is a breezily self-deprecating narrator whose sarcasm only occasionally feels strained. Though sometimes explaining too much for any semi-regular viewer of Law & Order, Rosenfelt exploits the inherent drama of the legal process.
First Degree After inheriting $22 million, criminal lawyer Andy Carpenter can't get motivated to take a case -- until his PI girlfriend is accused of decapitating...First DegreeMystery and ThrillerR After inheriting $22 million, criminal lawyer Andy Carpenter can't get motivated to take a case -- until his PI girlfriend is accused of decapitating...2003-05-16
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Leslie Hope, Rob Lowe; Director: Jeff Woolnough; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Grey's Anatomy': What's next for the Mer-Maggie-Riggs triangle?
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon share a textual experience
- What To Watch Thursday: Another bad person in 'The Good Place'
- 'A Game of Thrones': Preview the enhanced iBooks edition
- 'Survivor': Jeff Probst on the latest medical scare
- 'Criminal Minds': Thomas Gibson returns for premiere
- 'Birth of a Nation' director Nate Parker to appear on '60 Minutes'