Looks like plenty of people were happy to take the red pill and plunge back into the Matrix. ”The Matrix Reloaded” grossed $42,475,000 on its opening day Thursday, AOL Time Warner CEO Dick Parsons announced on Friday. (AOL Time Warner is the parent company of distributor Warner Bros., as well as of EW.com.) Of course, ”Reloaded” was all but guaranteed to have the biggest opening ever, since it’s playing on 8,500 screens in 3,600 theaters. That $42 million figure tops the previous opening day record, set last year by ”Spider-Man” ($39.4 million), and it puts the movie on track to challange the three-day opening record of $114.8 million ”Spider-Man” set during its first weekend. Imagine the grosses if Keanu Reeves’ Neo could shoot webs from his wrists.
(The Matrix: Jasin Boland)
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anne Frank's story to be told in new virtual reality film
- Met Gala 2016: All the details on Claire Danes’ Zac Posen dress
- WATCH: Exclusive clip from VICE documentary about 'Miami Connection'
- 'Bones' exclusive clip: Aubrey and Jessica's first kiss goes wrong
- Adele on 'Beyoncé: She is the 'most inspiring person'
- Miles Teller's boxing biopic 'Bleed for This' gets fall release date
- Lorde got everyone to sign her cast at the Met Gala
- Met Gala 2016: The Best and Most Outrageous Looks
- Flashback to the 1996 Premiere of 'The Craft'
- 14 TV Cliffhangers and How They Were Resolved
- Met Gala 2016: See All the Arrivals From Manus x Machina
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast