Looks like plenty of people were happy to take the red pill and plunge back into the Matrix. ”The Matrix Reloaded” grossed $42,475,000 on its opening day Thursday, AOL Time Warner CEO Dick Parsons announced on Friday. (AOL Time Warner is the parent company of distributor Warner Bros., as well as of EW.com.) Of course, ”Reloaded” was all but guaranteed to have the biggest opening ever, since it’s playing on 8,500 screens in 3,600 theaters. That $42 million figure tops the previous opening day record, set last year by ”Spider-Man” ($39.4 million), and it puts the movie on track to challange the three-day opening record of $114.8 million ”Spider-Man” set during its first weekend. Imagine the grosses if Keanu Reeves’ Neo could shoot webs from his wrists.
(The Matrix: Jasin Boland)
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- This was Chris Pratt's craziest day on the set of 'Jurassic World'
- Why Michael Fassbender loves taking risks
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!