Looks like plenty of people were happy to take the red pill and plunge back into the Matrix. ”The Matrix Reloaded” grossed $42,475,000 on its opening day Thursday, AOL Time Warner CEO Dick Parsons announced on Friday. (AOL Time Warner is the parent company of distributor Warner Bros., as well as of EW.com.) Of course, ”Reloaded” was all but guaranteed to have the biggest opening ever, since it’s playing on 8,500 screens in 3,600 theaters. That $42 million figure tops the previous opening day record, set last year by ”Spider-Man” ($39.4 million), and it puts the movie on track to challange the three-day opening record of $114.8 million ”Spider-Man” set during its first weekend. Imagine the grosses if Keanu Reeves’ Neo could shoot webs from his wrists.
(The Matrix: Jasin Boland)
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stephen King releases 'Drunken Fireworks' audiobook
- Casting Net: Julia Roberts signs on for 'Mother’s Day'
- 'Parks and Rec' alum Retta will host the 'Orphan Black' panel at Comic-Con
- Original Mickey Mouse Club to reunite at Disney's D23
- Apple's appeal denied in ebook antitrust case
- 'Rocky' spinoff 'Creed': First trailer's here
- Apple's Beats 1 radio will be censoring music
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!