Philip Seymour Hoffman, at his obsessive best, plays a fubsy assistant bank manager in gray-skied Toronto who is also a closet gambler. He keeps deepening the hole he’s in, yet that’s the trigger for his high. Set in the ’80s, the movie is based on a true story, and director Richard Kwietniowski stages it as a real-life fairy tale riddled with pinpricks of dread.
Genre: Comedy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Minnie Driver, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Maury Chakin, John Hurt, Sonja Smits; Director: Richard Kwietniowski; Author: Maurice Chauvet, Richard Kwietniowski; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!