Philip Seymour Hoffman, at his obsessive best, plays a fubsy assistant bank manager in gray-skied Toronto who is also a closet gambler. He keeps deepening the hole he’s in, yet that’s the trigger for his high. Set in the ’80s, the movie is based on a true story, and director Richard Kwietniowski stages it as a real-life fairy tale riddled with pinpricks of dread.
Genre: Comedy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Minnie Driver, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Maury Chakin, John Hurt, Sonja Smits; Director: Richard Kwietniowski; Author: Maurice Chauvet, Richard Kwietniowski; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Leslie Jones calls for peace after racist Twitter posts: 'Hug someone'
- Selena Gomez says she needs to 'rethink some areas' of her life
- 'Vixen' season 2: The Flash and Firestorm return in Comic-Con clip
- 'Sherlock' season 4 first trailer
- Comic-Con: Ed Brubaker thought 'Winter Soldier' would be scrapped
- Box office: 'Star Trek Beyond' nearly triples 'Lights Out,' 'Ice Age'
- Comic-Con: Henry Cavill goes undercover to prank Will Smith