Philip Seymour Hoffman, at his obsessive best, plays a fubsy assistant bank manager in gray-skied Toronto who is also a closet gambler. He keeps deepening the hole he’s in, yet that’s the trigger for his high. Set in the ’80s, the movie is based on a true story, and director Richard Kwietniowski stages it as a real-life fairy tale riddled with pinpricks of dread.
Genre: Comedy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Minnie Driver, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Maury Chakin, John Hurt, Sonja Smits; Director: Richard Kwietniowski; Author: Maurice Chauvet, Richard Kwietniowski; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade