Philip Seymour Hoffman, at his obsessive best, plays a fubsy assistant bank manager in gray-skied Toronto who is also a closet gambler. He keeps deepening the hole he’s in, yet that’s the trigger for his high. Set in the ’80s, the movie is based on a true story, and director Richard Kwietniowski stages it as a real-life fairy tale riddled with pinpricks of dread.
Genre: Comedy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Minnie Driver, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Maury Chakin, John Hurt, Sonja Smits; Director: Richard Kwietniowski; Author: Maurice Chauvet, Richard Kwietniowski; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Worst Witch' headed for a TV reboot on CBBC
- Emily Blunt channels 'Frozen' in new trailer for 'The Huntsman: Winter's War'
- Ubisoft confirms no major 'Assassin's Creed' release for 2016
- Shawn Ashmore is hunted down in 'Quantum Break' trailer
- Mayhem is on the menu in new trailer for 'The Invitation'
- Ryan Reynolds had Deadpool's charisma, cheek, and... tongue, says creator
- 'Bates Motel' First Look: Norma and Norman wear matching robes