It’s Survival of the Meanest in Special, a black-as-night debut novel of female adolescence. On a two-week field trip to the English countryside, a group of bored and bad-tempered 13-year-old girls sneak out in search of chemical annihilation and sexual attention. Despite her protagonists’ boundless teen rage and self-loathing, Bella Bathurst draws rich, surprisingly sympathetic portraits of confused girls who, in less skilled hands, would quickly deteriorate into mere types. Their restlessness and frustration are palpable as they circle each other like sharks, sussing out vulnerabilities until their ”slow corrosive pickpickstabstab of claim and counter-claim” finally explodes in a string of discoveries and disasters. The savage little castaways of ”Lord of the Flies” have nothing on these girls.
SpecialIt's Survival of the Meanest in Special, a black-as-night debut novel of female adolescence. On a two-week field trip to the English countryside, a...SpecialFictionBella BathurstIt's Survival of the Meanest in Special, a black-as-night debut novel of female adolescence. On a two-week field trip to the English countryside, a...2003-05-16
Genre: Fiction; Author: Bella Bathurst
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Ariana Grande adds new dates and cities to The Honeymoon Tour
- 'Saturday Night Live' best host poll: The Rock flexes his comedy muscles
- Smashing Pumpkins explore PTSD in "Drum + Fife" video
- 'Sherlock' co-creator: For the last time, Holmes is not gay
- Jamie Foxx makes controversial Bruce Jenner joke at iHeartRadio Music Awards
- Play a 'Super Mario 64' level online for free
- Death threats against BBC director investigated following Jeremy Clarkson firing
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!