It’s Survival of the Meanest in Special, a black-as-night debut novel of female adolescence. On a two-week field trip to the English countryside, a group of bored and bad-tempered 13-year-old girls sneak out in search of chemical annihilation and sexual attention. Despite her protagonists’ boundless teen rage and self-loathing, Bella Bathurst draws rich, surprisingly sympathetic portraits of confused girls who, in less skilled hands, would quickly deteriorate into mere types. Their restlessness and frustration are palpable as they circle each other like sharks, sussing out vulnerabilities until their ”slow corrosive pickpickstabstab of claim and counter-claim” finally explodes in a string of discoveries and disasters. The savage little castaways of ”Lord of the Flies” have nothing on these girls.
SpecialIt's Survival of the Meanest in Special, a black-as-night debut novel of female adolescence. On a two-week field trip to the English countryside, a...SpecialFictionBella BathurstIt's Survival of the Meanest in Special, a black-as-night debut novel of female adolescence. On a two-week field trip to the English countryside, a...2003-05-16
Genre: Fiction; Author: Bella Bathurst
Posted May 16 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Behind the scenes of Ellie Goulding's empowering third album
- 'AHS' star shines in exclusive 'My All American' trailer
- Spoilers: Alex Kingston returns to 'Doctor Who'
- Jeff Probst debates the use of challenge advantages on 'Survivor'
- 'DWTS': And the fall 2015 celebrities are ...
- Joanna Newsom reveals new record is 'different from anything I did in the past
- Kevin Gates charged with battery after kicking female fan
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!