At first glance, Maxted’s heroines fit the chick-lit template: They’re successful, attractive London gals with a gaggle of friends prone to Rupert Everettesque scene-stealing. Then they get hit with a Big Issue – anorexia or a parent’s death – which often brings a movie-of-the-week heaviness. Behaving starts off similarly, with professional matchmaker Holly surviving a rape. But the preachiness is offset by the lovability of the characters – particularly Holly’s unpolished yet wise parents, who make Bridget Jones’ nattering mum seem cartoonish in comparison.
Behaving Like Adults At first glance, Maxted's heroines fit the chick-lit template: They're successful, attractive London gals with a gaggle of friends prone to Rupert...Behaving Like AdultsFictionAnna Maxted At first glance, Maxted's heroines fit the chick-lit template: They're successful, attractive London gals with a gaggle of friends prone to Rupert...2003-05-23
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anna Maxted
Posted May 23 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Hills' trivia: Can you still identify these minor characters?
- Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys welcome first child together
- 'Jeopardy!' producer scores Guinness World Record
- Bosnia honors David Bowie with massive mural
- Alicia Keys on no makeup press photo: 'It's the strongest I ever felt'
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': First look at Harry, Ginny, Albus
- 'Scream' bosses on tragic first death and what's next
- The Best 'Bachelor' and 'Bachelorette' Jobs
- Disney Classics Making New Magic On Screen
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos