”Laughter is involuntary,” the contrarian comedian claims in his bio. ”If you can get people to laugh at what you’re pointing out, they know there’s at least some truth to it.” Fine, but is ”some truth” enough when you’re paying $70 to see what amounts to a stop on a glorified book tour? Delivering a 90-minute monologue in front of WWII-inspired posters culled from his best-seller When You Ride Alone You Ride With Bin Laden, Maher makes a few devastating, if unoriginal, points about the strangulating plague of ”patriotic correctness.” But he skittishly saves his big bunker buster for last: the theory that Western civ’s ills can be traced to our ”feminized” consumer culture. Hmm… are Hummers and the Bush administration (two of the comic’s favorite punching bags) really the marks of a ”feminized” America? The desperation to reclaim the nation’s supposedly lost masculinity – a desperation Maher reeks of – seems an equally easy target for demagogic bluster.
Bill Maher: Victory Begins at Home''Laughter is involuntary,'' the contrarian comedian claims in his bio. ''If you can get people to laugh at what you're pointing out, they know there's at...Bill Maher: Victory Begins at HomeBill Maher''Laughter is involuntary,'' the contrarian comedian claims in his bio. ''If you can get people to laugh at what you're pointing out, they know there's at...2003-05-23
Starring: Bill Maher; Author: Bill Maher; Opening Date: 05/05/2003
Posted May 23 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Caitlyn Jenner's mother says 'she's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers
- Eddie Redmayne set for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Justice Department ramps up its investigation of theater chains
- Tracy Morgan: 'I ain't never going to take life for granted no more'
- Iggy Azalea on why she canceled tour
- 'Big Trouble in Little China' for The Rock?
- 18 CBS star portraits from summer/fall shows
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Charlize & Seth, Alessandro & Bradley, Gwen Stefani and More!