A playfully synthetic romantic romp that pays homage to the daffy, nudge-nudge sex comedies of the late ’50s and early ’60s (e.g., Pillow Talk). Renee Zellweger is Barbara Novak, who arrives in Manhattan to publish her sex-and-the-single-girl manifesto. Ewan McGregor, in a wonderfully charming performance, is Catcher Block, ladies’ man and star writer for Know magazine, who decides to allay his secret fear of the aggressive modern female by demonstrating that Barbara’s book is bunk, baby. The movie is little more than an engaging stunt, set in a mad (if not Mad) movie version of 1962, with a resonant glee poised somewhere between Far From Heaven and Airplane!
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Ewan McGregor, Renee Zellweger, Rachel Dratch, Melissa George, Ivana Milicevic, Sarah Paulson, David Hyde Pierce, Tony Randall, Jeri Ryan; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Eve Ahlert, Dennis Drake; Release Date Wide: 05/16/2003; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted May 23 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters