A playfully synthetic romantic romp that pays homage to the daffy, nudge-nudge sex comedies of the late ’50s and early ’60s (e.g., Pillow Talk). Renee Zellweger is Barbara Novak, who arrives in Manhattan to publish her sex-and-the-single-girl manifesto. Ewan McGregor, in a wonderfully charming performance, is Catcher Block, ladies’ man and star writer for Know magazine, who decides to allay his secret fear of the aggressive modern female by demonstrating that Barbara’s book is bunk, baby. The movie is little more than an engaging stunt, set in a mad (if not Mad) movie version of 1962, with a resonant glee poised somewhere between Far From Heaven and Airplane!
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Ewan McGregor, Renee Zellweger, Rachel Dratch, Melissa George, Ivana Milicevic, Sarah Paulson, David Hyde Pierce, Tony Randall, Jeri Ryan; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Eve Ahlert, Dennis Drake; Release Date Wide: 05/16/2003; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted May 23 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Descendants' react: Did the Disney Channel tale about junior villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!