A playfully synthetic romantic romp that pays homage to the daffy, nudge-nudge sex comedies of the late ’50s and early ’60s (e.g., Pillow Talk). Renee Zellweger is Barbara Novak, who arrives in Manhattan to publish her sex-and-the-single-girl manifesto. Ewan McGregor, in a wonderfully charming performance, is Catcher Block, ladies’ man and star writer for Know magazine, who decides to allay his secret fear of the aggressive modern female by demonstrating that Barbara’s book is bunk, baby. The movie is little more than an engaging stunt, set in a mad (if not Mad) movie version of 1962, with a resonant glee poised somewhere between Far From Heaven and Airplane!
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Ewan McGregor, Renee Zellweger, Rachel Dratch, Melissa George, Ivana Milicevic, Sarah Paulson, David Hyde Pierce, Tony Randall, Jeri Ryan; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Eve Ahlert, Dennis Drake; Release Date Wide: 05/16/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted May 23 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game