August Wilson is nearing the end of his majestic 10-play cycle tracking the black experience through each decade of the 20th century. Leaving the bookends for last (he has yet to present his ’90s play), he’s chosen Chicago’s Goodman Theatre to debut his 1900 – 1910 piece – and it’s a revelation. The central character is Aunt Ester (Greta Oglesby), a 300-year-old former slave with the power to cleanse souls. The action takes place in her large home, a stunning set of grayish blue echoing both the Civil War and the text’s complex water metaphors. The dialogue lacks the jazzier rhythms of Wilson’s other work (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, The Piano Lesson), recalling instead the courtly feel of a gospel spiritual. Throughout the play, Wilson states his big themes plainly, as if presenting a preface. And we begin to perceive the deeper pattern of his magnificent undertaking, which raises the bar for the grand summation he surely has in store. (312-443-3800)
Gem of the Ocean (Stage - 2003)August Wilson is nearing the end of his majestic 10-play cycle tracking the black experience through each decade of the 20th century. Leaving the bookends...Gem of the Ocean (Stage - 2003)August WilsonAugust Wilson is nearing the end of his majestic 10-play cycle tracking the black experience through each decade of the 20th century. Leaving the bookends...2003-05-23
Starring: Greta Oglesby; Director: Marion McClinton; Author: August Wilson; Opening Date: 04/18/2003
Posted May 23 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Big Sean and Rick Ross join Future's 'F--- Up Some Commas' remix
- Watch Liam from One Direction sing 14 seconds of 'Wonderwall'
- A first look at the inaugural issue of Rosy Press' Fresh Romance -- exclusive
- 'Furious 7' screenwriter gives update on 'Legend of Conan'
- Jenny Lewis makes Vanessa Bayer cry on 'Sound Advice'
- Listen to an exclusive clip from Paolo Bacigalupi's 'The Water Knife'
- Broadway’s 'King Charles III' casts Prince William, Harry, Kate
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, Prince Harry, Ansel Elgort & More!