It’s all about the blossoming when Lilia (Abbass), a lonely Tunisian widow, finds herself drawn to the world of belly dancing at a nearby cabaret. Yet her sudden contrived transition from repression to release might ring untrue if not for the quiet passion of Abbass’ performance. Whether letting loose on the dance floor, giving in to a one-night stand, or simply buying a new pair of shoes, her Lilia comes vibrantly alive while barely saying a word. The joy is all in her face – and in her undulating body.
Genre: Musical, Drama; Starring: Hiyam Abbass, Hend El Fahem, Faouzia Badr, Monia Hichri, Maher Kamoun; Director: Raja Amari; Author: Raja Amari; Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted May 23 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Walking Dead' actor would love to play Spider-Man
- Hulk Hogan talks possible villain role in 'Expendables 4'
- Charter/Time Warner deal will affect 1 in 6 households
- Documentary to explore George Miller's attempted 'Justice League' movie
- 'Grace of Monaco' screenwriter live tweets Lifetime premiere
- A$AP Rocky dropped his new album at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, Prince Harry, Ansel Elgort & More!