It’s all about the blossoming when Lilia (Abbass), a lonely Tunisian widow, finds herself drawn to the world of belly dancing at a nearby cabaret. Yet her sudden contrived transition from repression to release might ring untrue if not for the quiet passion of Abbass’ performance. Whether letting loose on the dance floor, giving in to a one-night stand, or simply buying a new pair of shoes, her Lilia comes vibrantly alive while barely saying a word. The joy is all in her face – and in her undulating body.
Genre: Musical, Drama; Starring: Hiyam Abbass, Hend El Fahem, Faouzia Badr, Monia Hichri, Maher Kamoun; Director: Raja Amari; Author: Raja Amari; Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted May 23 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cara Delevingne addresses awkward interview
- 'Gritty' take on 'Little Women' in development at CW
- Mia Farrow criticized for tweeting business address of Cecil the lion's killer
- Diva Layla El retires from WWE
- Woody Allen says private life doesn't resonate in his films
- 'Law & Order' director arrested on child pornography charges
- 'Secret in Their Eyes' gets new release date
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ed Helms, Jenny McCarthy, Joel Edgerton & More!