Pedro Almodóvar won the Best Original Screenplay Oscar for Talk to Her, his moving story about the unlikely friendship of Benigno (Javier Cámara) and Marco (Darío Grandinetti), two men in love with women in comas. The Academy got it right. Seamlessly weaving themes of loyalty, loneliness, and love, the movie pulsates with a richness not just of story and character, but of music as well (Caetano Veloso’s ”Cucurrucucú Paloma” is mesmerizing). Who but Almodóvar could combine bullfights, sponge baths, and ballet with such sincerity?
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Javier Camara, Dario Grandinetti, Geraldine Chaplin, Rosario Flores, Leonor Watling; Director: Pedro Almodovar; Author: Pedro Almodovar; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted May 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video