Pedro Almodóvar won the Best Original Screenplay Oscar for Talk to Her, his moving story about the unlikely friendship of Benigno (Javier Cámara) and Marco (Darío Grandinetti), two men in love with women in comas. The Academy got it right. Seamlessly weaving themes of loyalty, loneliness, and love, the movie pulsates with a richness not just of story and character, but of music as well (Caetano Veloso’s ”Cucurrucucú Paloma” is mesmerizing). Who but Almodóvar could combine bullfights, sponge baths, and ballet with such sincerity?
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Javier Camara, Dario Grandinetti, Geraldine Chaplin, Rosario Flores, Leonor Watling; Director: Pedro Almodovar; Author: Pedro Almodovar; Release Date Limited: 11/22/2002; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted May 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation': What are the critics saying?
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!