Two reissues: 1977’s salute to Lefty Frizzell found Nelson cozying up to country music’s master of melancholy, delivering heartbreakers like ”Always Late” and ”I Never Go Around Mirrors” with deep understanding, but never topping Frizzell’s originals. Rose was Nelson’s 1980 collaboration with the man he used to work for, Ray Price, to give the latter’s career a boost. The two go honky-tonking with a vengeance: Price’s aging baritone and Nelson’s floating tenor meld into aching bliss on pedal-steel-powered tunes such as ”I Fall to Pieces” and ”Crazy Arms.” Now we want Columbia/Legacy to rerelease Nelson’s finest reputation-restoration job, his Webb Pierce duet album, In the Jailhouse Now. To Lefty: B+ San Antonio Rose: A-
San Antonio Rose Two reissues: 1977's salute to Lefty Frizzell found Nelson cozying up to country music's master of melancholy, delivering heartbreakers like ''Always...San Antonio RoseReissues Two reissues: 1977's salute to Lefty Frizzell found Nelson cozying up to country music's master of melancholy, delivering heartbreakers like ''Always...2003-05-30
Genre: Reissues; Lead Performer: Willie Nelson
Posted May 30 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Can Tyrion be trusted on 'Game of Thrones'?
- Kim and Kanye: It's their 1st anniversary
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps the latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'The Gift'
- 'Gilmore Girls' movie? Scott Patterson hints at 'some activity'
- Former Virgins frontman Donald Cumming debuts dreamy ballad 'In The Early Hours' -- exclusive
- 'Star Wars' to screen in China for first time ever
- Art Garfunkel dings Paul Simon in new interview
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!