Two reissues: 1977’s salute to Lefty Frizzell found Nelson cozying up to country music’s master of melancholy, delivering heartbreakers like ”Always Late” and ”I Never Go Around Mirrors” with deep understanding, but never topping Frizzell’s originals. Rose was Nelson’s 1980 collaboration with the man he used to work for, Ray Price, to give the latter’s career a boost. The two go honky-tonking with a vengeance: Price’s aging baritone and Nelson’s floating tenor meld into aching bliss on pedal-steel-powered tunes such as ”I Fall to Pieces” and ”Crazy Arms.” Now we want Columbia/Legacy to rerelease Nelson’s finest reputation-restoration job, his Webb Pierce duet album, In the Jailhouse Now. To Lefty: B+ San Antonio Rose: A-
San Antonio Rose Two reissues: 1977's salute to Lefty Frizzell found Nelson cozying up to country music's master of melancholy, delivering heartbreakers like ''Always...San Antonio RoseReissues Two reissues: 1977's salute to Lefty Frizzell found Nelson cozying up to country music's master of melancholy, delivering heartbreakers like ''Always...2003-05-30
Genre: Reissues; Lead Performer: Willie Nelson
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!