Two reissues: 1977’s salute to Lefty Frizzell found Nelson cozying up to country music’s master of melancholy, delivering heartbreakers like ”Always Late” and ”I Never Go Around Mirrors” with deep understanding, but never topping Frizzell’s originals. Rose was Nelson’s 1980 collaboration with the man he used to work for, Ray Price, to give the latter’s career a boost. The two go honky-tonking with a vengeance: Price’s aging baritone and Nelson’s floating tenor meld into aching bliss on pedal-steel-powered tunes such as ”I Fall to Pieces” and ”Crazy Arms.” Now we want Columbia/Legacy to rerelease Nelson’s finest reputation-restoration job, his Webb Pierce duet album, In the Jailhouse Now. To Lefty: B+ San Antonio Rose: A-
San Antonio Rose Two reissues: 1977's salute to Lefty Frizzell found Nelson cozying up to country music's master of melancholy, delivering heartbreakers like ''Always...San Antonio RoseReissues Two reissues: 1977's salute to Lefty Frizzell found Nelson cozying up to country music's master of melancholy, delivering heartbreakers like ''Always...2003-05-30
Genre: Reissues; Lead Performer: Willie Nelson
Posted May 30 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!